So many people consume processed versions in tins and packets packed with salt, sugar and additives not supportive to our health, therefore, an easy healthy change can be made. Plus, soup is extremely healthy, filling, inexpensive to make and can be adapted to use leftovers, a variety of spices etc.
I am a huge fan of coming up with your own recipes and making any recipe completely adaptable and so you just do not need to look at a formal method anymore. Here is a 5 step soup formula that you can use to come up with your own delicious concoctions, and you will also find the recipe I made up following this formula this week below.
Tip: Have everything ready to add before you turn on the heat
- Firstly, chop onions and garlic – fry them off a little in a pan on a low heat (add a little water if they start to stick)
- Add chosen spices or herbs e.g. cumin, chilli, chipotle, coriander – mix well *optional add a tbsp of cider vinegar – adds a healthy alkaline touch and a good flavour balance
- Add the protein source e.g. beans, lentils
- Add chosen vegetables – roast veggies first for extra flavour (peppers are lovely roasted)
- Lastly add stock, either homemade or Kallo have a lovely yeast free vegetable stock (just mix with water