Everyone is different for some people having three meals a day is the best option, however for many of us including me, snacks ensure that blood sugars are stable and reduce irritability and anxiety. As with all of your meals planning is the secret…
- boiled eggs – a filling snack, sprinkle a little pink Himalayan salt on to keep minerals levels up.
- mixed unsalted nuts – avoid large amounts of these if focusing on weight loss
caution note: no more than 3 brazil nuts a day due to extremely high amounts of selenium (toxic in high doses)
- Full-fat greek yoghurt/coconut yoghurt – a natural snack which is filling, add berries and a sprinkle of cinnamon or cacao and banana, with a teaspoon of nut butter or just plain
- cashew/almond nut butter spread on brown rice cakes
- blend dates with cashew nuts to make energy balls – store in the fridge (your own homemade naked bars)
- make your own cashew cheese (see www.passionatenutrition.co.uk) and crudités e.g. carrot, cucumber, pepper
- have a range of homemade dips in the fridge (make a batch at the weekend) for quick snacks when you need them e.g. hummus, guacamole, salsa etc.
- celery sticks with hummus or cashew cheese or a mix of crudités to snack on ready cold in your fridge, a good way to incorporate more nutrients…
- Make up a batch of bircher muesli (see www.passionatenutrition.co.uk) and store in a fridge for up to 3 days – makes a good after work out supper as well as a breakfast
- whole fruit and veggies are fantastic snacks packed with nutrients
- hypothyroidism helpful additions are avocados, sea kelp and cranberries
- make a batch of vegetable soup and freeze or refrigerate small portions to heat and have as a warm snack or supper time filler.
Raise your metabolic rate – burn energy more efficiently by adding the following into your snacks or meals:
- black pepper, chilli, garlic, cinnamon, ginger and turmeric
When you are really in need of a treat, these will hit the spot, guilt free:
- blend avocado, frozen banana, cacao, tsp of nut butter and a splash of almond milk
- clean hot choccie – blend nut milk, half a banana, cacao, nut butter then warm
Have a wonderful week!
Lots of love and health
<img src=”http://www.blogawardsuk.co.uk/media/ukba16entered.png” style=”width:100%;height:auto;max-width:818px” alt=”I’ve just entered the UK Blog Awards #UKBA16″>